VOTING WILL CLOSE WEDNESDAY 3/5
5 Takeaways on The Sweet 16
1) Here it is, the Sweet 16, aka “The place where 8 of your most cherished childhood shows will die in glorious combat.” Just look at the shows that are left. There are going to be some tough decisions ahead, people. Prepare yourselves.
2) The top 4 seeds of each region advanced. This isn’t surprising in the least. The only show on upset alert in the opening round was Salute Your Shorts, which took 57.6% of vote in its matchup with The Wild Thornberrys.
3) All of the 1-seeds dominated their matchups. Except, Doug. Doug straight up decapitated Roundhouse. Don’t laugh. It’s not Funnie. I can only assume that the 2 people that voted for Roundhouse, did so out of sympathy.
4) I stand by my conviction that Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is a reskin of Harry Potter. And with a pedigree like that, I don’t think it’s improbable that it goes Avada Kedavra on Rocko’s Modern Life, which is the spiritual predecessor of SpongeBob SquarePants.
5) I think that The Oregon Trail Region is a nice microcosm for the eternal battle of Good vs. Evil. We have (somewhat) family driven shows, Clarissa Explains It All / The Secret World of Alex Mack, going up against the most evil and absurd shows Nickelodeon has probably ever served up with, Are You Afraid of The Dark? and The Ren & Stimpy Show. It’s safe to say that this region will act as the perfect reflection of the voting body’s moral compass, which I believe to be pure evil.